Friday, January 21, 2011

"But what about our future?"

She looked at me and her eyes sparkled, maliciously. I could see it coming from miles away, one of those awful, sappy, unanswerable, theoretical quest-
"Do you see us together 10 years from now?"
I let loose a quiet sigh, I'd lucked out. This was an easy one.
"Of course, I can see just what it'll be like." Her goddamn eyes just kept sparkling.
"We'll be sitting in our house, well, 'ours' but technically mine because you will have refused to put your name on the mortgage, but still, we'll be in 'our' house, sitting in 'our' matching recliners because Jimmy, our son, will have had an accident on the couch the night before. You'll have control of the remote because I will have already lost the use of my right arm and we both know how bad I am with my left. We'll run out of cheetos again and have another argument where you'll threaten to leave me for Keith, the second one of the day. I'll point out that he doesn't qualify for disability like I do and you'll come around. I'll look deep into your deadened eyes and think about Sasha Grey as I tell you how much I love you. You'll see through it but agree that we should probably stay together for the kids despite how miserable we are, and then we'll pass out during the Miracle Blade infomercial, the one with Chef Tony."
"Awwwwwwww," she cooed. "I didn't even think you thought about the future!"